Regardless of the metal you choose, take these steps to keep your jewelry polished and scratch-free:
- Store jewelry in separate pouches or compartments of a jewelry box to avoid scratching.
- Clean jewelry in a solution of mild dish detergent and warm water, rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth.
- Donâ€™t scrub precious metals with an adult toothbrush. To remove tough grime from crevices, you can gently use a childâ€™s toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Remove jewelry for manual labor or sports to avoid scratching, when working with harsh chemicals, and when swimming in chlorinated water.
- Check with your jeweler if your jewelry contains diamonds or gemstones, because some may be treated and need special attention.